Who is eligible for this giveaway? To participate, you must be
- at least 18 years of age
- a member of the Year of Being Here reading community (i.e., an email subscriber, a follower on Facebook or other social media, or a frequent visitor to the website)
- a resident of the United States*
*If you're not a resident of the U.S., all isn't lost. Scroll down to the paragraphs pertaining to you very special people.
If eligible, how do you enter the book giveaway? Complete and submit a quick entry form. The information you share on the form will be used only for the purpose of this giveaway. Then it will be discarded.
What are the books to be gifted (one copy each)?
- A Year with Rumi: Daily Readings (Coleman Barks, editor)
- A Year with Rilke: Daily Readings (Anita Barrows, editor)
- The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry (Wendell Berry)
- The Book of the World: A Contemporary Scripture (Phyllis Cole-Dai, editor)
- Selected Poems (Barbara Crooker)
- Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women (Jane Hirshfield, editor)
- A Year with Hafiz: Daily Contemplations (Daniel Ladinsky)
- Red Suitcase (Naomi Shihab Nye)
- A Thousand Mornings (Mary Oliver)
- Ask Me: 100 Essential Poems (William Stafford)
When is the deadline? Submit your entry form by midnight on December 8, 2015. Ten recipients will be selected at random and announced throughout the month of December. All books will be mailed to the recipients no later than January 15, 2016.
What if you live outside the U.S.? Unfortunately you're not allowed to participate in the book giveaway, for legal reasons. But in lieu of that, please accept a free gift of music: `Tis a Gift: Christmas by Guitar, an album of tranquil holiday selections arranged and digitally recorded by Phyllis Cole-Dai, curator of A Year of Being Here. You can listen to its tracks here, and even download them as singles by clicking on the orange download link next to the titles.
To download the entire `Tis a Gift album, you will probably need to use your computer instead of a mobile device. Here are the instructions (don't let them intimidate you):
- Go to Dropbox by clicking here (you don't need a Dropbox account).
- If you're prompted to sign up for Dropbox, click on the "No thanks, continue" option.
- Once you see the album playlist on your screen, click the blue "download" button in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Choose "Download as .zip" from the dropdown menu.
- Soon your computer should ask whether you wish to save the music in a certain location or to open (unzip) the files. Choose "Open with" [the name of a zip utility software will be displayed], then press "Enter."
- The software will eventually open or expand the album. This might take a few minutes. Your computer will store the music as "`Tis a Gift", probably in your "Downloads" folder. Click on "`Tis a Gift" to display the individual track titles. You can either play them from there or save them to another location.
Enjoy the giveaway!